Old Orchard Bridge Improvement Project Planned for Mill Creek Park (PID #111316)

Mill Creek MetroParks is soliciting public comment for an upcoming bridge improvement project. The proposed project involves improvements to the Old Orchard Bridge located on Chestnut Hill Drive, in Mill Creek Park approximately 0.25-miles north of Canfield Road (US-62). Proposed project activities consist of furnishing labor, materials, and equipment necessary to resurface the asphalt concrete pavement over the bridge (~300’), seal/waterproof the bridge decking, repair/improve the concrete walks and timber railings, perform stone masonry repair (tuck-pointing), cleaning, and all other tasks incidental to completion of this project.


The project is scheduled to begin construction in the summer of 2020 with an estimated construction cost of $200,000. A significant portion (80%) of the projects funding will be provided by ODOT through Surface Transportation Program (STP) funds ($160,000). The MetroParks will provide the remaining 20% ($40,000) in match funds, as well as contribute professional engineering, contract management and construction project management/inspection services.


This project is expected to be complete in approximately sixty (60) days. During construction, the Old Orchard Bridge will be closed to all pedestrian, bicycle, and vehicle traffic for a maximum of (45) days. A detour route will be provided for vehicular traffic. Construction schedule, bridge closure, and detour information will be posted near the Old Orchard Bridge project site, and on the Mill Creek MetroParks website (www.millcreekmetroparks.org) prior to the start of construction. Access to Chestnut Hill Pavilion and all other MetroParks facilities will be maintained at all times throughout the project.


To ensure the proposed project is viable and successful, Mill Creek MetroParks is seeking comments from the public about the social, environmental, and economic impacts of this proposed project.  Environmental impacts include those involving archaeological, architectural and ecological resources, regulated materials and the general location of the project.  ODOT also requests information regarding the presence of any known cultural resources in the vicinity of the project including prehistoric and historic archaeological sites, historic bridges, historic buildings, landmarks and districts.  Any comments you may have regarding the environmental and/or the proposed project may be submitted by Friday, January 17, 2020.


All public comments, questions and/or concerns about the project are welcomed, and should be directed to:


Mill Creek MetroParks

Re: Nick Derico, Natural Resources Steward

7574 Columbiana-Canfield Rd.

Canfield, Ohio 44406

Phone: 330.702.3000 x 136

Fax: 330.702.3010