Mill Creek MetroParks is soliciting public comment for an upcoming bridge improvement project. The proposed project involves improvements to the Dividing Sycamore Bridge located in proximity to the intersection of Bears Den Drive and West Drive. Proposed project activities consist of furnishing labor, materials and equipment necessary to clean, repair, tuck point stone masonry, strengthen the south retaining wall using a tie-back system, repair erosion by installing natural stone-filled gabions along the stream channel, stone curb adjustments, resurfacing of the asphalt concrete pavement over the bridge, and all other tasks incidental to completion of this project.
The project is scheduled to begin construction in the summer of 2019 with an estimated construction cost of $205,000. A significant portion (80%) of the projects funding will be provided by ODOT through Federal Transportation Alternatives Program (TAP) funds ($164,000). The MetroParks will provide the remaining 20% ($41,000) in match funds, as well as professional engineering, contract management and construction project management/inspection services.
This project is expected to be complete in approximately sixty (60) days. During construction, the Dividing Sycamore Bridge will be closed to all pedestrian, bicycle, and vehicle traffic for approximately forty-five (45) days. A detour route will be provided for vehicular traffic. Construction schedule, bridge closure, and detour information will be posted near the Dividing Sycamore Bridge project site, and on the Mill Creek MetroParks website (www.millcreekmetroparks.org) prior to the start of construction. Access to Lower Bears Den Picnic Area and all other MetroParks facilities will be maintained at all times throughout the project.
To ensure the proposed project is viable and successful, Mill Creek MetroParks is seeking comments from the public about the social, environmental, and economic impacts of this proposed project. Environmental impacts include those involving archaeological, architectural and ecological resources, regulated materials and the general location of the project. ODOT also requests information regarding the presence of any known cultural resources in the vicinity of the project including prehistoric and historic archaeological sites, historic bridges, historic buildings, landmarks and districts. Any comments you may have regarding the environmental and/or the proposed project may be submitted by December 7, 2018.
All public comments, questions and/or concerns about the project are welcomed, and should be directed to:
Mill Creek MetroParks
Re: Nick Derico, Natural Resources Steward
P.O. Box 596
Canfield, Ohio 44406
Phone: 330.702.3000 x 136