Mill Creek MetroParks Continues Growth to Protect Watershed

Once again, thanks to a successful grant application to the Clean Ohio Conservation Fund, Mill Creek MetroParks has efficiently expanded its preservation and water quality protection efforts by acquiring 218 acres of land adjacent to its Mill Creek Wildlife Sanctuary. The acquired land consists of 218 acres of property including 3,875 linear feet of Mill Creek and nearly 96-acres of high-quality wetlands all located in Beaver Township on Calla Road, just East of Mill Creek. With this acquisition, the Mill Creek Wildlife Sanctuary is now comprised of a total of 482-acres, further enhancing the MetroParks ongoing watershed and wetlands protection efforts.

The Clean Ohio Conservation Fund provided 75% or $457,500 of the $610,000 total project cost, with the remaining 25% or $152,500 required match being provided thanks to financial support from the Mill Creek MetroParks Foundation. Future improvements related to public accessibility are currently being planned for the newly acquired property and are expected to include facility and wayfinding signage, an improved trail system, and ecological habitat restoration efforts.

“We are thrilled to be able to announce the continued success of our efforts to preserve critical wetlands and wildlife habitat within the Mill Creek Watershed through the expansion of the Mill Creek Wildlife Sanctuary. Thanks to the dedicated efforts of MetroParks staff, our partners at the Mill Creek MetroParks Foundation, and the support of the Clean Ohio Conservation Fund, we are one step further in working to improve the water quality within the region.” said Aaron Young, Executive Director.